The Wonder Seed
Why is Pomegranate called - The Wonder Seed?
Fruits have been an inseparable part of human life since time immemorial. Pomegranate (Punica granatum) is one of the most ancient medicinal fruits used in Ayurveda since ancient times for its nutritional and as well as medicinal values. It is a shrub that develops into multiple branches which gives it a bushy appearance and can grow up to the height of 5 to 10 meters. It is a perennial plant that is harvested from October to January. The deep red fleshy outgrowth from each seed that forms the delicious edible part of the fruit are called Arils and are packed with nutrition and have medicinal properties.
The ‘Apple a Day’ of Ayurveda!
We all grew up with the adage of “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”. But what if we told you that Organic Pomegranate is better than Apple at keeping one healthy and delaying the ageing process? Ayurveda texts have described it as ‘Dadima’ under the ‘Phala Varga’ that holds excellent medicinal properties. More than 600 formulations of Pomegranate have been described in various Ayurvedic literature and texts that depict its immense amount of medicinal values and nutritional richness. In Ayurveda, it is “Amla Rasa Pradhan Phala” i.e. sour taste dominant fruit and pacifies all three Doshas and therefore a perfect detox. It is also entitled to be a “Nitya Sevana Dravya” meaning the food that should be consumed daily.
One of nature’s best sources of antioxidants
Researches have shown that drinking Organic Pomegranate Juice is beneficial in improving the body’s anti-oxidant capacity especially in elderly people. This immense reservoir of antioxidants shows potent anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, wound healing, and probiotic properties . Also, it has a lot to offer in oral hygiene and the prevention of dental diseases . Consumption of fresh, cold pressed and Organic Pomegranate fruit juice can boost antioxidant activity, improve immunity, enhance digestion, balances also three body Doshas, and hence helps in overall detoxification of the body. This makes Pomegranate the best choice of a Juice Fast diet for people of all ages. Its Tridoshic nature makes it suitable for all body types, be it Vata, Pitta or Kapha.
A wonderful Tridoshic balancer
You might have experienced heartburn or a burning sensation in the stomach right after eating something sour in taste. As per Ayurveda, most of the sour food items aggravate the Pitta Dosha and hence cause a burning sensation. According to Ayurvedic Pharmacology, the post-digestive taste i.e “Vipaka” of Pomegranate is sweet and it has cooling effects on the body i.e. “Sheeta Virya”. Therefore, Pomegranate is one such fruit that balances all three Doshas, despite being sour. It is considered an excellent nutritional supplement in all disorders and is beneficial in the diseases arising due to Pitta Doshas. Organic Pomegranate juice has been prominently used as a liquid supplement in “Atisara” i.e. diarrhoea due to its cooling nature that also prevents dehydration and soothes the colon.
Make or order a fresh Organic Pomegranate Juice to detox and load up on antioxidants
Making fresh Pomegranate Juice at home is easier than you may have thought. Here are 5 easy steps to extract Pomegranate juice at home from Organic Pomegranates. In case you do not have a cold press machine at home, you can easily order a Pomegranate juice from our online store. We make our juices fresh daily, only cold pressed and deliver only in glass bottles, no plastics! Or, in case you would like to make your own, we have fresh Organic Pomegranates that you can juice.
How to make Pomegranate juice at home.
- Take two fresh and organic Pomegranates and wash them thoroughly with water.
- Remove the pomegranate crowns with the help of a knife and cut them into two halves from their centres.
- Take a bowl, empty the seeds into the bowl and make sure that the seeds are clean with no membranous part (whitish part).
- Add these seeds to a cold press machine along with some water and press them. Make sure you have a container or glass to collect the juice. If is advisable to not use a blender as blending involves heat which denatures the original nutritional value of fruits.
- Enjoy the detoxifying and refreshing benefits with your loved ones.
SOME OF OUR FRESH JUICES AND ORGANIC FRUITS...
1. Kumari, Isha, Hemlata Kaurav, and Gitika Chaudhary. "Punica granatum L.(Dadim) Punica granatum L.(Dadim), Therapeutic Importance of World’s Most Ancient Fruit Plant." Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 11.3 (2021): 113-121.
2. Patel, Vivek Kumar, and Rabinarayan Acharya. "A comprehensive review on preventive and therapeutic profile of Dadima (Punica granatum L.) as an Aahara Kalpana (dietetic preparations) as depicted in Ayurveda." The Healer 2.02 (2021): 69-80.
3. SB, Rakshitha Jain, H. K. Shashirekha, and Bargale Sushant Sukumar. "Int J Ayu Pharm Chem."
4. Guo C, Wei J, Yang J, Xu J, Pang W, Jiang Y. Pomegranate juice is potentially better than apple juice in improving antioxidant function in elderly subjects. Nutr Res. 2008 Feb;28(2):72-7. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2007.12.001. PMID: 19083391.
5. Thangavelu, Arthiie, et al. "Ancient seed for modern cure–pomegranate review of therapeutic applications in periodontics." Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences 9.Suppl 1 (2017): S11.
6. Rajan, S., Ravi, J., Suresh, A., & Guru, S. (1970). Hidden Secrets of ‘Punica Granatum’ Use and Its Effects on Oral Health: A Short Review. Journal of Orofacial Research, 3(1), 38-41.